[Scons-dev] Python 3 compatability... RFH (request for help)

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Apr 7 12:14:35 EDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 11:52 -0400, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Russel,
>
> Thanks!
>
> As an aside, what's the right combination of D tools for mac?
> My primary machine is a mac and I get many D related failures which
> are
> fine on linux machine.

I tend not to use GDC at all now – GDC is part of GCC but there are
some difficulties keeping it up to date due to GCC workflow.  The D
language version of the latest GDC is old and whilst Debian package it,
Fedora does not. I believe it is available via MacPorts – I can check
this weekend, I have recently found my ancient (and not upgradable)
Macs.

I have DMD and LDC on Debian Sid, but only LDC on Fedora – I'm supposed
to be looking at a proper Fedora package repo for D stuff, the RPMs
from upstream are workable, but…. DMD is a development compiler, it is
the reference, compiles fast, but the backend is not great at optimised
code generation. GDC and LDC use DMD frontends (so for a given D
version number all front ends are the same), compile relatively slowly,
but use the GCC and LLVM backends respectively. Thus, both are really
rather good at generating fast code.

So if available I use DMD for developing code, but then switch to LDC
for final testing and deployment. Otherwise I just use LDC.

Perhaps email me the problems you are having and I'll focusing on
sorting them out.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk