[Scons-dev] Reusing test scripts

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 19:22:51 EDT 2016

Bill,

Yes. I moved a few to directories like "test/CC/shared-fixture" but I
intend to remove those if I can make this script generic. I think this is
reasonable. Copy-pasta is bad, mkay :)

The idea would be to make as few scripts as possible by removing the "test
specific" strings and replacing it with something reusable. I can still
make the string unique (IE. like the file name with path) if we are
concerned about keeping it unique to the test. This would make it unique
even to the test execution instance; otherwise, I was just going to set it
to something reasonable.

V/R,
William

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
wrote:

> You're thinking about putting all these in the test/fixture/ directory
> right?
>
> -Bill
>
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 5:54 PM, William Blevins <wblevins001 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Team,
>>
>> Many of the integration tests have scripts named something like
>> "my<xxx>.py" which are identical except for a custom hard-coded string. I
>> would like to make these scripts common and shared (when possible); this
>> should not invalidate or weaken any tests. They all run in different
>> directories. For example, in the snippet below of "mycc.py", the "/*cc*/"
>> would become something generic so that all the tests could use the same
>> script. This would reduce a lot of redundancy and reduce the amount of work
>> of future test maintenance plus porting to Python 2/3 support.
>>
>>> import sys
>>> outfile = open(sys.argv[1], 'wb')
>>> infile = open(sys.argv[2], 'rb')