[Scons-dev] Why a builder was called

Managan, Rob managan1 at llnl.gov
Wed Oct 26 14:59:06 EDT 2016

Hi,

I am using Latex again for a document myself and got to thinking again about a user complaint in the spring. He was complaining that bibtex always was called even if it did not need to be run again.

After going through the Tools/tex.py builder set again I realized that the reason we always run bibtex is that the builder does not know that the reference file was not changed. In other words is there any way for a builder to know which of the files the target depends on was the reason the target is out of date?

For most compiles and the like the target depends on many files but the build is always the same no matter which one triggers the rebuild. For Latex this is not the case and we could streamline some things if we knew which file triggered the rebuild.

OTOH, the tex builder is a complicated thing and it is in need to more flexibility to handle newer add on packages to latex and the like so I am not sure how much effort should be put into it.

Rob Managan
WCI/DP Division  LLNL
P.O. Box 808, L-095
Livermore, CA  94551-0808
Email: managan1 at llnl.gov
Phone: 925-423-0903         FAX:   925-422-3389