[Scons-dev] Hg vs Git

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Nov 25 10:57:29 EST 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 21:19 +0100, Saša Janiška wrote:
> […]
>
> For immutability lovers I can only recommend: Fossil
> (http://fossil-scm.org/) - I use it for *all* my personal stuff, but
> for
> public projects it seems that Git won the battle (although I’m
> waiting
> that Fossil gets something ala git-hg bridge).

Git won the race for market share due to GitHub and O'Reilly. Bazaar
died when Canonical pulled the plug on funding – and Launchpad never
really took off. Mercurial stayed in the race longer, but when
Atlassian bought BitBucket and pushed Git ahead of Mercurial, it
presented the death knell on further traction for Mercurial. GitLab is
just promoting that Git has won the race.

Fossil never really got going in the race.

Fossil retains the DVCS model where Git, Mercurial, and Bazaar really
moved to being centralized with permissive and localised behaviour. The
problem is that centralised is good for marketing and traction where
DVCS is good for development.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk