[Scons-dev] pip install scons

Alexandre Feblot alexandre at feblot.fr
Fri May 6 07:18:59 EDT 2016

Hi,

Supporting multiple versions at the same time will be required as soon as a SCons release breaks compatibility. If you want your older product sources built with an old SCons to keep building, you need to keep this old Scons available for them. And you would update your build system in your product develop branch to take the new SCons into account.
You could argue that all product branches must be updated as well. But what about tags, which you may need to checkout again and rebuild?

The only solution if such api change occurs and multiple versions installed at the same time are not supported would be to check SCons into the product repo. But for all products which didn't start this way from the very beginning, it's too late, and they would get stuck.

Unless virtual env is the official and documented method to have multiple versions in production? (never used it, don't know exactly how it's supposed to be used).
--
Alexandre Feblot