[Scons-dev] VariantDir() and #paths to files

Jason Kenny dragon512 at live.com
Wed Mar 9 22:15:57 EST 2016

Hi guys,

There has been a constant issue I have had with using SCons with VariantDir logic. I was wondering if I am missing something.

The issue shows up a number of time when people use Parts. The issue is when the user wants to use a file outside the directory containing the part file ( From a pure Scons point of view a part file is what would be called a SConscript). I believe this is a known issue with SCons, however it seems this is a common problem I have seen many times, enough for me to think there should be some better solution.

I have a example of this with an issue in Parts just opened. https://bitbucket.org/sconsparts/parts/issues/1/unit-test-object-build-files-can-appear-in

The easy answer for me is to say move the parts file up to the root. And tweak a few paths in a part file, to allow all files to be at the same level or below the location of the parts file. While this will solve the problem, I know it will be seen again as users have a reason they want to locate the “build” files in different locations from the all or some of the source. In this example they seem to have a pattern in which they have some “common” test helpers files that they want other Parts to use when creating there unit test. It makes sense, I would like to find a way to allow this functionality to the user in a painless way ( ie I do something under the covers 😊 ). There is an attached example of the issue.

Does anyone have any thought on this?

Jason

Sent from Mail for Windows 10