[Scons-dev] Python 3 strategy

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Mon Jan 25 10:17:35 EST 2016

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 4:39 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> The alternative is to abandon the current python3-port and start again
> from default based solely on future.

This doesn't seem crazy to me, although there was a LOT of hand-tweaking of
code on the current python3 branch: utf8/locale stuff, print stmts, which
in a fair number of cases didn't look like any automation would've caught
them. So if you start again I suspect most of that work will have to be
redone. I spent a couple of days on it, iirc, and I wasn't the only one.
Maybe some of those changes could be cherry-picked over? I suggest skimming
some of my changes on that branch (not the merges, just the by-hand stuff)
to get a sense of what had to be done.