[Scons-dev] On CI

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Jan 25 01:57:52 EST 2016

Independent of any CI Bill is running with Buildbot, I think we should
make use of any and all CI that Atlassian and others connect to
BitBucket, in the same way TravisCI etc. connect into GitHub.

Having three or four CI instances all monitoring GitHub repositories
and running tests on every commit and every pull request provides a lot
of very useful support.

Whilst BitBucket is now clearly a Git resource, it is still providing
Mercurial services and the pull requests and general management is
effectively as good as GitHub. If BitBucket can do issue handling, pull
requests, repository management, and CI (the big one), more or less as
well as GitHub, then there seems no reason to abandon BitBucket. In
fact exactly the opposite, if we can avoid moving from BitBucket now,
that is a good thing.

Switching from Mercurial to Git however is a completely different
issue. In the short term there is no big deal per se (other than most
of the core developers want to use Git not Mercurial!). However it is
clear Atlassian are pitching BitBucket as a Git repository management
system. In effect, as people at O'Reilly said in 2006-ish, Git has won
the DVCS war. Mercurial is though a contender left in the main game,
all others are now just history with niche markets. (Sad, I liked
Bazaar.)

I am going to start using the issue tracker on my Python 3 SCons port,
that William is now also tinkering in, to see how it feels. Also I will
try out as many CI systems as I can connect in so as to run Python 2.7
and Python 3.4 tests for each commit and pull request. I am expecting
some glitches compared to GitHub, but I am confident Atlassian will be
fixing things.

I note immediately that the BitBucket issues system is not JIRA. I am
assuming it is a stripped down, loss leader version to sell JIRA
instances.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk