[Scons-dev] SCons developer DVCS survey

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Jan 12 10:51:44 EST 2016

On Mon, 2016-01-11 at 17:40 -0500, Jonathon Reinhart wrote:
> I know it's been stated that SCons wouldn't have to migrate the issue
> tracker to GitHub as well. To any of those advocating for using
> GitHub for
> code but not for issues, I'm just curious: do any of you use GitHub
> issue
> tracking and pull requests frequently?  I find the integration to be
> very
> convenient and helpful (namely auto-cross references from code and
> PRs to
> issues and vice-versa).  TBH I'm not sure why you'd want to use
> anything
> else (other than the pain of migration of existing images).

During the demise of Codehaus and the shift of the Git repository of a
(nameless) project I am involved with to GitHub, I personal chose not
to do anything with the many hundreds of issues in the associated and
linked JIRA. Those people who wanted to preserve the JIRA content did
nothing about shifting it to an Atlassian free JIRA instance. So when
there was no longer a possibility of doing this, I opened up the GitHub
issues on the mainline repository and no-one has been screaming about
anything since.

With a Git Repository on BitBucket (or perhaps even the current
Mercurial one), there is very likely to be very good connection with a
JIRA instance – obvious really give Atlassian own BitBucket and JIRA
and the free platform is a marketing pitch for the "pay for" stuff.
Alternatively move the Git repository to GitHub with it's issues. I
have to admit though I prefer JIRA. So for me this would mean switching
the repository to Git and leaving it at BitBucket and open up a JIRA.

I would then switch off Tigris and just lose all the old issues. There
is nothing quite as energizing to a project as dropping 6 or 7 years of
crap that no-one is doing anything about.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk