[Scons-dev] That was easy…

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Sun Jan 10 13:44:21 EST 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>
wrote:

> On Sun, 2016-01-10 at 10:28 -0800, Bill Deegan wrote:
> > […]
> >
> > I'd like to recommend the virtualenv, pip install as the recommended
> > non-system package way to install scons...
>
> I can go with that, but…
>
> Even though virtualenv and pip come as standard with Python 3.4+, there
> is a lot of Python 2.7 out there (sadly). Especially on Windows in
> Python 2 land, virtualenv and pip is a real pain.

I think pip and virtualenv is included with python 2.7.9 an above..
https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/

pip included with Python

Python 2.7.9 and later (on the python2 series), and Python 3.4 and later
include pip by default [1] <https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/installing/#id7>,
so you may have pip already.

> I think we will have to think in terms of some form of self-contained
> distribution to avoid getting hassles from Windows/Python 2.7 based
> folk.

See above.  That said, a single file scons "binary" with packages included
would be nice for projects which use scons and don't want to have to
require their developers to have to install it separately ( equivalent to
scons-local install)