[Scons-dev] Atlassian, BitBucket, Mercurial

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Wed Jan 6 13:54:46 EST 2016

My 2 Cents.

(seems this sat in my drafts folder since september of 2015.. oops)

1) I don't like mercurial.  Git has a better flow for dealing with open
source projects in my opinion. Having worked (and contributed code to) both
buildbot and plone I can say with confidence that the create a branch for
every bug/feature/project, create pull request, and when the pull request
is merged the branch doesn't get carried into the master repo.  Yeah
there's bookmarks, I don't get them, I don't want to learn them (it's
throwaway brain capacity for me as I only use mercurial for SCons).  I'm
not religious when it comes to the languages tools are written in, only
that they make it easy to get the work done, and have decent user/developer
communities so if we run into issues we can have confidence that we can get
them resolved in a reasonable time frame.

2) While I agree with Dirk that its good to be in a place where we can just
code, and I think we're there now, I don't think that the transition to git
has to be that disruptive.  I don't see any reason we'd NEED to change
anything but the repo type.  Changing Wiki, bugtracking, etc are not (IMHO)
required to be changed when we change repo types.

3) Roundup, I need to apologize to Dirk as I've yet to put up an instance
on my colo machine (which also runs SCons' buildbot master)

4) Yes Dirk is a core contributor/developer/StackOverFlowAnswerGod, just in
case we've not acknowledged it elsewhere!

-Bill