[Scons-dev] g++.py tool mapping to gxx.py

Jason Kenny dragon512 at live.com
Tue Dec 20 23:18:04 EST 2016

Hi guys,

I was just helping someone with a sample to get parts to select gcc version of the arm cross compiler. I need to add the core code Part proper for arm. However, the point of the e-mail was me noticing again the issue with g++ tool in scons. The sample you can find in this issue here: https://bitbucket.org/sconsparts/parts/issues/12/how-do-i-use-include_parts-for-including has to import the g++ tool. I almost forgot the pain this has caused me in the past. The code to import file looks like:

import importlib
gxx_module = importlib.import_module('parts.tools.g++')

which unless you are are really good with python is not so obvious.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to:

*       make a gxx.py tool

*       move g++.py content into gxx.py

*       change g++.py to be a proxy to gxx.py. ie "from gxx import *" so nothing breaks

Does anyone have any concerns about such a pull request being made?

Thanks
Jason