[Scons-dev] 2.5.0 performance optimization oops

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 20:49:23 EDT 2016

Krew,

Sorry that I missed an optimization issue in 2.5.0. It hasn't seemed to
affect many projects, so it appears to be dependent on particular project
properties outside of my prediction and which I can only guess about. I was
curious if I had forgotten or neglected to run the scons_testsuite
<https://bitbucket.org/dirkbaechle/scons_testsuite> like a good developer.
Although I am not building all 6 with this machine/setup, of the 3 that
build with my current tool setup, there is very little performance
difference.

questfperf

>> with patch

run: 321.5
> update: 23.8
> update_implicit: 16.1
> >> without patch
> run: 328.2
> update: 26.6

update_implicit: 16.2

> wonderbuild
> >> with patch
> run: 382.2
> update: 19.1
> implicit_update: 17.9
> >> without patch
> run: 396.0
> update: 19.1
> update_implicit: 18.1
>

> sconsbld
> >> with patch
> run: 112.5
> update: 32.4
> update_implicit: 23.7
> >> without patch
> run: 115.5
> update: 32.9
> update_implicit: 24.1

This is more like what I was expecting: a marginal difference that would be
unnoticeable at worst. I was concerned about new dependencies causing
slowdowns, but that doesn't appear to be the case for projects that
observed this issue. We may want to consider adding some other project
samples to scons_testsuite. I will ask around some of the user's that
reported issues if there project source is available.

V/R,
William