[Scons-dev] scons-2.5.0 performance issue?

Thomas Berg merlin66b at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 06:43:09 EDT 2016

Bill,

Here is the output of --debug=objects:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40097540/misc/scons/scons_objects_2_4_1.txt
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40097540/misc/scons/scons_objects_2_5_0.txt

Both are around 22MB, so here's a 3MB zip containing the two files:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40097540/misc/scons/scons_objects_output.zip

The 2.5.0 output is around 2000 lines longer than the 2.4.1 output,
both are around 430 000 lines.

As a test, is it possible to disable the cross language scanner
somehow, either by passing something to the environment or patching
the scons code?

Dirk: thanks for the link. I have tested some but not all the tricks
used there, and I will definitely look closer at it after we
(hopefully) get to the bottom of this.

I would at least like to understand what's going on in our case, so
thanks for all the help. Could it be that just adding a small number
of dependencies in the wrong place can, due to recursive effects,
cause such a significant increase in the processing time?

Thanks,
Thomas