[Scons-dev] SCons 2.5.0 Released

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Apr 11 12:21:04 EDT 2016

Hi all,

On 10.04.2016 03:12, Bill Deegan wrote:
> No problemo!
>
> Now for py3 compatibility!
> -Bill

good to see v2.5.0 out (thanks Bill)! Some additional thoughts, addressing points made in the more recent posts to scons-dev:

- ad Python 3.0: Any code/test cleanup is good! Please use the "dir/file fixture" feature of the test framework
   wherever you can. Perhaps someone can try to write a simple script, parsing the tests and converting all
   "strings to files"? I know this won't fit in all cases, but most setups are probably easy enough for this to work...

- ad branching/versions: We still have the "stubprocess.py" extension as open item. Do we plan an additional v2.6.0?
   I could imagine merging the current python3 branch simply back onto default (keeping a v2.6.0 branch open for people
   that are truly stuck with Python 2.X on their systems), and continuing the rest of the work right on "default".
   Maybe this would speed up development, by inflicting everybody (no pain, no gain ;) ) and avoiding all hassles about which
   branch is the "current" one?

- in general: Once the mixed Python 2.x/3.x version is stable, I plan to introduce several architectural changes to
   the core sources. I'm still working on the gory details, but I'll try to let some "Functional programming" style creep
   in, in order to reduce side-effects and the number of import dependencies. My goal is to allow several top-level builds
   at the same time for example, which isn't possible at the moment due to the usage of global variables.
   If anyone thinks this is the wrong direction to go, please speak up now...before I've invested a lot of work. :)
   I'll offer some new design docs and the actual pull requests for review, when they are ready and I'm happy
   with the results...just wanted to let everybody know about my plans.