[Scons-dev] SCons default branch open for python 2.7/3.x work. Please submit pull requests

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Sun Apr 10 14:56:09 EDT 2016

All,

Here's what I propose.
1. Merge scons_python3 down to default.  It's o.k if it's broken for a bit.
We can always do bug fixes out of rel_2.5.0 branch if needed and merge
those down.
2. I'm o.k. with many tests failing when merged down to default. Python 2/3
is a major project and move forward for SCons.  As far as fixing those
embedded code strings, I'd like to see a pull request per fix (so it's easy
to review).   If we're talking about moving them to the new test fixtures
(see: "working with fixtures" in
https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/wiki/DeveloperGuide/TestingMethodology),
I'm all for that.

2+.  I'd say we should add some thing to TestSCons.py to return which
version of python is being used and allow skipping tests the same way we do
for different platforms for the time being.

Once it's merged down to default, ideally the priority would initially be
to get all the tests passing on python 2.7.  Then python3 compat.

I know this is a departure from past workflows but I'm not sure how else to
do this in a way that would enable moving fairly fast.

Once we get to all tests working on python 2 & 3, then I'd like to shift
back to a slower more deliberate process that's been our norm.
I'm hoping this can be achieved in 2-3 months? (Does that seem realistic)

During that time py2/3 pull requests will get priority, non py2/3 patches
will be secondary unless there's a significant regression in 2.5.0 and/or
support for new MSVS/VC or other "critical" toolset.

If you make fairly small pull requests I'll make commitment to merge them
quickly. (Assuming I'm not off the grid, which is a rarity).

Thoughts on above most welcome.

Thanks,
Bill
Co-Manager SCons project.