[Scons-dev] Python 3

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Apr 1 12:02:07 EDT 2016

On Fri, 2016-04-01 at 08:13 -0700, Tim Jenness wrote:

[…]
> Sounds great. I’ll try to help (although I’m a git/github person and
> I’ve never used hg/bitbucket) but I’ll be happy to talk and try it
> out on our fairly substantial scons environment.

Many of us would prefer to be using Git on BitBucket, but Mercurial is
not half bad once you realize that in-repository branches are
persistent for ever more and therefore not good for feature branches.
Thus I have a separate repository for my feature branches, hence https:
//bitbucket.org/russel/scons__python3 The fact that there is a python3-
port branch rather than just using default will eventually prove
irritating to all :-(

The mercurial command line is certainly less Byzantine than the Git
one, and so good for that. Mercurial is a reasonable system, as is
Bazaar, but it seems GitHub and BitBucket (once the flag bearer for
Mercurial) have both decided there is Git and no other.

Currently the default branch in my feature branch is just the standard
default from mainline.  The python3-port branch in my feature branch is
ahead of that in the mainline, by a long way. Six is removed, futurize
-1 has been applied and there are many "Python 3 allowed in Python 2"-
isms in place mostly from previous people's efforts.

I have run this with Python 3 and it sort of worked, but the main goal
for the moment is to get all tests passing in this branch with Python 2
that pass in default. This is the indicator that will allow this branch
to be merged into the mainline default and this allow everyone to work
solely on the mainline.

The strategy is then that all code, especially new code, be Python 3
code that also runs under Python 2 either because it does or because of
futurize.

I hope to be able to get working on this more full time after the short
hiatus next week.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk