[Scons-dev] SCons.. the road ahead

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Sep 26 10:25:08 EDT 2015

Hi there,

On 26.09.2015 00:56, Bill Deegan wrote:
> I guess the question is should that happen in 3.0 branch or default.
> Since most likely it's in the core and not in the tools, I'm guessing
> none of the outstanding pull requests will touch that..

I'd like to try and remove some of the "< 2.6" stuff soon on
"default"...even before the next SCons release. Refactoring the 2.6
constructs that were added for backward compatibility, instead of using
more modern idioms from 2.7.x/3.y, can then happen on the "python3" branch.

I'm basically fine with the short-term roadmap as suggested by Bill. But
I'd like to stay on the "python3" branch for developing the combined
2.7.x/3.y version. Let's merge "default" onto "python3" initially, and
not the other way around. Like this, we're still able to make an
immediate bugfix and push out a new release, if this should ever be needed.