[Scons-dev] SystemPlatform (Was: SCons tools refactoring progress)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 12:36:15 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Jason Kenny <dragon512 at live.com> wrote:

> My point here is that I think Scons would be a more robost system if for
> example we add some form of the Parts  SystemPlatform object to Scons as
> this become a common and standard way to express an important concept in a
> build system, no matter if your tool chain is platform independent for the
> target output or not.

http://parts.stage.tigris.org/source/browse/parts/trunk/parts/parts/platform_info.py?revision=150&view=markup

What are usage stories for that? I see the immediate one to provide
"bitness" info as:
1. Python process bitness
2. OS bitness
3. CPU bitness

What will be the serialization of PlatformInfo to JSON? Looks like it is
serialized into string now and that string has some pretty limited values.
What is the full list, by the way - is it possible to dump it?

I'd wrap it an upload as a separate project to PyPI, because this bitness
stuff is a pretty common need even for building Python extensions.
--
anatoly t.