[Scons-dev] Roundup tracker demo instance...

Florian Miedniak florian.miedniak at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 07:20:14 EDT 2015

Anatoly,

be sure, I don't want to "sell" JIRA as the ultimate bug tracking tool for
developing scons ;-) From my experience, especially customizing its
configuration can imply effort, that's not small. I saw JIRA installations,
that both from a user's and admin's point of view are a pain because due to
heavy over-configuration.
The main reason for that I recommended it was, that for the existing
bitbucket environment it has good integration, that (and that's the point!)
works out-of-the-box.

>From my point of view the effort spent by a team for the services like
hosting, bugtracker, wiki, build server, ... should be always as small as
possible to allow for concentrating on the main task: Developing.

In find it honorable, if there is a agreement in an open source project
like scons is one, to prefer the use of products that are itself open
source / written in python / ..., but I sometimes find it kind of
fundamelist ... A very common reason for not using open source projects
like scons is, that people even if they consider the product itself
outstanding, they don't trust the community to be strong enough to maintain
and support the project properly because the members have lots of tasks to
do that are not directly related to the product.
I don't know the scons project good enough yet, to know if there is a
rather idealistic or more pragmatic view on this topic.
I'm able to speak for myself only: I'm rather a pragmatist. If RoundUp or
any other tool(set) can provide a similar degree of integration without
costing too much effort to migrate and maintain, I would be happy with that
as well :)

-Florian