[Scons-dev] Multiprocessing instead of threads?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Nov 22 16:24:47 EST 2015

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 19:51 -0800, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Would there be value in using python's multiprocessing package
> instead of
> threads?

As any consultant will tell you: it depends. Threads in Python suck due
to the GIL. Conversely, threads work fine for concurrency due to the
GIL, assuming you have no interest whatsoever in parallelism.

Parallelism in Python currently requires use of multiprocessing. It
works but there is an overhead. And the synchronization infrastructure
of multiprocessing is really rather naïve and under-performant.

Sarah Mount has needed a far better low level process communication
synchronization and communication infrastructure for Python-CSP. I said
I would investigate. To date I have failed. Perhaps in 2016-02…

> Anyone have experience using this package?

Yes.

!

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk