[Scons-dev] Would requiring Python 2.7.4 or above be a problem for future release?

Jason Kenny dragon512 at live.com
Wed Nov 18 17:20:18 EST 2015

Hi,
So some time ago I removed the use of pywin32 for the same reason you talked about.
Parts uses ctypes to implement hardlink, symlink, coloring, and registry ( we try to use SCons stuff when we can) support on windows ( and generally anything else we have to a need to call win32 stuff.

I can point this code as needed. Most of it is under parts/overides ( which is stuff where we change SCons behavior for the better or to add some functionality)
I am not sure what the issue is with subprocess. I have been using subprocess for some time. I replace the spawn call with my own ( as i don't have a better way to do it)
the code is here:https://bitbucket.org/dragon512/parts/src/67bab4aa45ff5fec3ade23f679ffdf15bde2c002/parts/part_logger.py?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default
line 69 is the function.
The only real issue was that there was a different between 2.6 and 2.7 with how some stuff was handled on windows. (line 87)
most of the reason for the code i have here is about redirecting output so i can colorize it and redirect to log files as needed. There is also some support we added a year or two ago for timeouts which is useful for running tests that hang in SCons.
I don't have anything easy to cherry pick at the moment as i have this base code for handling output text and such that all the Parts code calls instead of print.
Jason