[Scons-dev] SCons on pypy and slots and __class__ assignment

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Sun Nov 15 17:36:39 EST 2015

Greetings,

Thought I'd take a whack at running SCons on pypy (based on a presentation
at SFPython where the developer say 50x CPython speeds).

Anyway it turns out that using __slots__ + assiging to __class__ which we
do a few places in the Node's classes causes:
TypeError: __class__ assignment: 'Entry' object layout differs from 'Dir':

I hopped on #pypy and a developer there took a quick look as said turning
of __slot__ got it a bit further through.

As a side note, the canonical way to tell if you are running under pypy is
as follows:

 if '__pypy__' not in sys.builtin_module_names

Anyone have any thoughts on the relative difficulties of disabling slots
for pypy vs removing reassigning an objects class in the Nodes hierarchy?