[Scons-dev] Interested in contributing

Brian Cody brian.j.cody at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 10:10:15 EST 2015

Hi everbody,

My name is Brian Cody. I've been an embedded software engineer for 8 years.
I am accustomed to test driven development (cxxtest / google mock) in C++ ,
and I've also been developing in Python for five years. I have been an
SCons user for about three years now and I've used it on multiple projects.
My Python unit testing experience has less rigorous, though I am familiar
with the unittest mocking infrastructure.

In my professional work I've had to create workarounds for a couple of
problems in SCons. One is the under implemented "exists" functionality for
tools. (See issues 863, 1671, 3005). This one is actually impacting our
development efficiency.

The other workaround is for the os.chdir being used within SCons to set the
working directory of launched processes instead of using the POpen option
(issue 2597). This one isn't slowing us down but it's pretty odd that SCons
doesn't support this today!

I've been steeped in requirements analysis for years. I know the customer
shouldn't go straight to the developer with requirements, and as I might be
both I'm interested in talking to the person or people who serve as product
owner(s). I'm also interested in seeing a prioritized backlog of work so I
might hone my skills in a project such as SCons.

Thanks for reading and I hope I can make some positive contributions to the
project!
-Brian