[Scons-dev] Merge PR #235 before release

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed May 27 06:52:36 EDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:56 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com> wrote:
> Anatoly,
>
> It's probably safe to say that there are a number of anachronisms (from
> python 1.5.x) still in SCons's code which will be purged over time.
> This may be one of those?

io.StringIO is Python 2.6 only, so it is a "recent" addition to evolve code
to be more Python 3 compatible, but I do not see that it will work unless
we have an extensive focus on getting a lot of data conversion tests
with locale specific systems setup, including:

 - filesystem nodes with non-unicode / non-utf-8 names
 - other nodes that represent itself in non-unicode way

What I need is a bulletproof way to convert from anything to unicode. This
requires some kind of escaping to go forward and back. Some helper
methods like u2b() (unicode to binary) and b2u(). I am quite surprised that
so far I found nothing for this "simple" case.
--
anatoly t.