[Scons-dev] Support for versioned shared libraries is nowhere near fixed

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Mon Mar 23 01:17:21 EDT 2015

Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>:
> The reason for having it as an Environment variable is that is the
> "scons way",  Builder's have source and target, all other arguments
> are used to create an OverrideEnvironment().

Is this "way" documented anywhere outside the source?

There's a gap between the man page and the wiki that's a problem.  The man
page is very hieratic.  It assumes that the reader already knows the context
for all the primitives. The wiki talks a lot about edge cases and extensions.

What's missing, I think, is worked examples of complex features like this one.