[Scons-dev] SCons cross-language support

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 17:26:27 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM, Kenny, Jason L <jason.l.kenny at intel.com>
wrote:

>  I believe the copy of A is similar to linking on many systems. The
> linker runs but it doesn’t have to as the import libs/so did not change,
> SCons just assumes that if the dependent source changed everything above it
> must be redone as well. I think this was a fix made back in the 0.98 days
> as at one point this did not happen. I recall finding the code in the node
> that controlled this. So for me this is not a scanner issue but a node
> issue in that an actions should only go off if the sources are really
> different ( or the function that says it different is true). In this case
> A.h still would copy as B changed, but if we had a alpha.h that depends on
> A.h, it would not copy as A.h MD5 was not different. Currently SCons would
> copy the alpha.h. Such a change for example would also allow Parts which
> uses hardlinks by default to be a lot faster as I would not have scons
> rebuilding hard links redundantly when coping files.

I agree here.  Install builder targets do not have binfo objects or at
least not MD5sum components.  This is a bug IMHO.  There are several
related tigris issues if I remember correctly.  Not sure about Copy targets.

> I am unclear on how removing case B would make A.h with the current patch
> not copy A.h is there some difference in a node being different because it
> is an implicit dependency ( ie scanner) vs that of being a source to a
> builder?

I would add a source_scanner to the Install builder that was non-recursive,
which would then break Case B, since it expects recursive scanning of
Install targets. A quick examination of the test case I mentioned in the
patch comments may be easier to understand than plain text which regard to
Case B expectations.

> What is the difference in the use case for Install vs copy? My view was
> that Install is just a copy that adds the items to the known installed
> items for packaging calls later.

I'm not 100% sure here.  I think they both call copy_func, but their setup
is slightly different.  I just imagine that Install and Copy have different
semantic meanings.  Install is like a Copy + forget whereas Copy should
track the target as a full node.

> Either way I agree, if not for different reason, the use case B should not
> be support.

If I understand your vote correctly, you want Install targets
non-recursive; thus, fixing Case A and removing test coverage of Case B.