[Scons-dev] Cross-language support

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 21:31:01 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> sorry for chiming in so late.
>
> On 28.07.2015 23:44, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
>
>> Yes, that's how we've done it in the past.  Sounds like doing it at the
>> same time as slots would be perfect.
>>

> Doing this in parallel with the "slots" change sounds good to me too. +1

I'm not opposed to releasing in the same update as slots, but since the
cross language code reviews haven't been finished, I don't want to delay
slots since it is ready now.

The pessimist in me as sees doing two major enhancements in the same
release as higher risk; I don't foresee any issues, but its worth the
thought if the release overhead isn't too bad.

>  -- Gary
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com
>> <mailto:bill at baddogconsulting.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Gary,
>>
>>     For such a change we should bump the second digit?
>>     2.4?
>>
>>     I agree we should not turn down a change because it will cause
>> rebuilds where the past didn't as long as it is now more correct
>>     (which it should be with this change).
>>

> Yes, "forward" is the way to go. ;)
>
>      Also agree we should be verbose in our notification of the impacts of
>> the new change to avoid (as much as we can) "surprises".
>>

> I think (better: hope) we did a good enough job for the "slots" stuff on
> this. For the scanner changes, I see them more like a fix...so a single
> announcement should be sufficient?
>
> Finally, and just in case I haven't done so already, I'd like to thank
> William for all the work he's done on this issue. I couldn't help as much
> as I would've liked, but with Gary's support you tackled this down and
> brought it to a good end. Kudos to you...bravo!

Truly appreciated.  I have spent a lot of time on this issue despite what
one might expect from the number of lines of code.

It was honestly my first time working in a "real" python environment
outside of scripting, and the SCons code base is rather complex.  It
instills me greater appreciation for the work that has already done.

I also want to thank everyone here for their help past and future, but
don't pat me on the back until its done. I might get lazy :)