[Scons-dev] Repo not wiki for tools and add-ons

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Jul 6 14:24:39 EDT 2015

Hi Russel,

On 05.07.2015 20:57, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-07-05 at 11:22 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:
>>
> […]
>> > >

>> thanks a lot for creating this Bill.
>
> Indeed, I think we can get some capital out of this initiative.
>> >
> […]
>> I would like to see another folder here for contributed "config"
>> snippets (automake-like checks for libs n' stuff).
>> Ideally, the "tools/config" folders have the same name for the SCons
>> core distribution and the "contrib" package, such that we can
>> easily blend them together via "import" at runtime...
>
> Mayhap we should iterate over a diagram of this structure rather than
> just words. I think you are suggesting:
>
> .
> +- tools
> |  +- config
> +- scripts
> +- docs
> *- config
>
> But I am not sure I see why. (Probably me me slow.)

my idea was more something like this:

scons_contrib
└── SCons
     ├── docs
     ├── SConf
     │   └── __init__.py
     ├── scripts
     └── Tool
         └── __init__.py

(see also attached screenshot). By setting the PYTHONPATH in the "scons" script properly, a user could then do

   import SCons.Tool

in his build scripts, without having to care where exactly (scons or scons-contrib) the actual Tool is coming from. Not sure whether
this would work at all though...;)