[Scons-dev] adding more configure tests to SCons

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 07:20:37 EST 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Carnë Draug <carandraug+dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a set of configure tests which today I have copied and paste into
> my 4th project.  They are really simple and very general use-case [1], so
> I am thinking of contributing them to SCons.  They check for LaTeX document
> class, package, availability of a program, and perl modules.  At least the
> last two have counterparts on autoconf.
>
> Can I contribute them to SCons?  I am aware of the SCons autoconf recipes
> wiki page [2] but that's far from ideal.  I wonder if the existence of such
> page means that such recipes are not desired on SCons.
>
> If not, is there any sort of SCons extras?  autoconf has at least the
> autoconf-archive [3].

Library detection/configuration abilities of SCons need more love, definitely,
both in terms of features and exposure. The repository of examples, from
which people can copy-paste code for finding SDL, Boost and other stuff
would be very welcome. I personally spend A LOT of time to figure out all
the gory details to build Wesnoth with MinGW on Windows.

Now there is a bootstrap script to set all necessary variables, but it is
something that could be done by SConscript:
https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/locally/src/tip/05.wesnoth.py?at=default