[Scons-dev] SCons-like build system

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Fri Jan 23 10:03:27 EST 2015

I understand this problem. This is one main thing Parts tries to address. It uses information about the different component to figure out what not to load. This requires the build to be laid out in some sort of component based like build, vs a recursive make, which may not be a big deal, depending on how your project is laid out. The result for example of a massive build I have here is a “do nothing” build takes ~7-20 second vs the normal ~15-20 minutes it would normally take. Incremental build also are reduced to minutes ( depending on what changed of course)

I honestly believe this can be better yet.. but we requires more work.  The main issue with spawn issue that we pushed, was found when a build for this large product moved from rhel4 to rhel5. The time increased from 2 hours to 4+. It was the spawning issue. Something changed that really made this worse. Once we had this fixed rhel5 build went to 2 hours and the old rhel4 based build went to ~1.5 hours.

Jason