[Scons-dev] Code of conduct?

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 09:47:23 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 10:57 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com> wrote:
> Anatoly,
>
> In the entire history of SCons we've only had a small handful of instances
> where any of the proposed CoC's might have been violated.
> So infrequent I can't remember the last one.
>
> That said, if you can prove harm or point to any project where it harmed
> their community to have a CoC, then I (and I expect the rest of the SCons
> developer list) would be interested in such.

And how should I prove it? I can speak only for myself, and myself hates
CoCs and any other dumb rules that people create, because they've
degraded their communication skills and are unable to teach each other.

> Nothing you've said thus far has been convincing to me (nor it seems any
> other community member).
> Otherwise it is speculation.
>
> I can say for certain that some organizations expect such when providing
> grant money to open source communities.
> For me that's sufficient reason.

Prooflinks, please.

Money was a invented as a tool to compensate people the loss of their time
for working on things that are hard to do. If somebody will find funding for
SCons that requires me being nice, I can do this job - no problem, but it is
hard for me to emit fake emotions when I don't feel this way.

> I will also say that if the SCons project finds that having a CoC is
> damaging to it's community, then we'll revise or revoke it as appropriate.
> (where damaging doesn't equal one person is being unreasonable or abusive
> and doesn't like having the fact that their behavior violates the CoC, but
> does equal contributions to the project including features and/or bugfixes
> and/or docs slow to a standstill, and/or usage of SCons diminishes in a
> meaningful way measurable to the adoption of a CoC).

I don't understand this paragraph. CoC is a garden wall for people like me.
If you have a real story why SCons community needs one - then it is ok, but
adopting some stupid policy just because somebody has one and because
it is fashionable - please don't add me to that flock - I want to have my own
will.
--
anatoly t.