[Scons-dev] That was easy…

Jason Kenny dragon512 at live.com
Sun Dec 27 19:41:01 EST 2015

Yes and No,

The standard build of python with 2.7 contains an script to ensure pip is installed. Ideally when one installs pip the command:

python -m ensurepip

https://docs.python.org/2.7/library/ensurepip.html

When you install python windows for example you get this, and it will be upgraded to the latest version of pip.

The same process exists on Linux, however I have noticed that many distros seem to not add pip, and instead want the user to install packages via, yum, df, apt-get instead of pip. The problem have seen of this is that these packages are not the up-to-date ones or the package may not be in the cloned in the given Linux distro. This can be worked around by the user, given they have access to the internet, or have copied of the packages or whl files locally.

Ideally I think we can provide a whl file install with all the depends in it and links to get the pip packages to install locally if they don’t have access to the internet as is all to common in many enterprise setups.

Or we can just tweak the current src-local local install so we add any depends we have in SCons added to the local package.

I don’t think requiring pip is a big issue. However many people may not have pip installed with python 2.7 or 3 only because the Linux distro tries to side step its usage.
Jason