[Scons-dev] A new architecture...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Dec 27 07:58:21 EST 2015

Hi all,

the discussions about new features in SCons during the last weeks, have led me to start working on some architectural changes
for SCons. They aim at refactoring the module/package structure, such that it's possible to better support customized

- Taskmasters
- File signature calculation (currently fixed to MD5 hash sums)
- Node factories (and connected with that custom Nodes)
- Build and Node Info (and connected with that custom signature DBs, like a JSON implementation for easier debugging)

.
Please note that my pull request doesn't directly implement and provide these functionalities (well, some of it), but simply tries
to lay out the foundation for them. There is definitely more work ahead...
Once we have this in place, it should be much easier to support e.g. additional Taskmasters like an

   EspeciallyParanoidTaskmaster

(see Tom Tanner's proposal at https://pairlist4.pair.net/pipermail/scons-users/2015-December/004320.html and following), or a

   DebuggingTaskmaster

where you get a lot of additional info about the current "machine state", and can walk through a complete build in single steps.

I don't know when this PR will be ready, but just wanted to inform you all that someone is working on this somewhere. :)
Your comments and suggestions are welcome.