[Scons-dev] stubprocess ?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Dec 27 07:00:52 EST 2015

Hi Vasily,

On 23.12.2015 22:04, Vasily wrote:
> Hi Bill and all,
> Since we (Eugene - added, and me) were original authors, maybe we should work on making a pull request.
> Can you share the requirements for successful pull request?
>
> P.S. I think that making an env opt-out key is hard to do since it monkey-patches subprocess module globally, but making an
> command-line option might be a good idea.

thanks for offering your help with this. I agree that we shouldn't care about an option for switching the stubprocess wrapper off.
As far as I remember we discussed this some time ago, and the consensus was to always activate the wrapper under "posix"-like systems.

One remark though: Can we possibly rename the patched subprocess call to a different module? For our purposes (in SCons) we don't
need a global replacement, but just a method that we can stuff into our env["SPAWN"] variable which gets used for every command-line
action that has to get executed.
What I have observed is, that the global replacement of "subprocess" gives trouble when custom Builders or SConscripts do an
"import subprocess" again afterwards. How do we protect against this? If possible I'd like to have the wrapper decoupled from the
"subprocess" module...

For the pull request, please fork the current "trunk" from the main repo as described at

   https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/wiki/DeveloperGuide/Introduction

. The section "Fixing and developing the core sources" should get you going...if you have any questions, feel free to ask please.
 From my point of view, you won't have to provide any additional tests or documentation. We just have to ensure that all the current
tests still work afterwards...and then there's one more detail: Licensing and copyrights. I'm not sure what the state of the
stubprocess wrapper is, regarding copyright. I assume that it was (at least partly) developed during your work time for Intel, so we
(SCons foundation) should get a document (email might be enough?, but I'm not a lawyer) allowing us to distribute the wrapper
together with our sources, under the same MIT license (we'd mention Intel and your names in the copyright, can you make a proposal
for the exact text?). I'd really like to have this in writing somehow...

That's what I can think of for the moment...happy hackin'! ;)