[Scons-dev] That was easy…

Tim Jenness tjenness at lsst.org
Thu Dec 24 12:05:48 EST 2015

> On Dec 24, 2015, at 09:47 , Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:
>
> …well, sort of.
>
> OK first major hurdle done: python3-port has now had default merged
> into it. Enough of it works to be able to compile Fortran code using
> this version of SCons on Python 2. Obviously (!) it all breaks using
> Python 3, and (obviously) many, many of the tests fail with any Python
> version.
>
> There is now a long haul editing all the print statements into Python 3
> format in all the tests as well as the rest of the source code. I
> clearly need to find a way of doing this automatically. Aha 2-to-3 I
> think is required…

I find that

futurize -1 *.py

is incredibly helpful here (-2 is the full on port to python 3 but -1 is the command to make everything work with 2.7 features). This is from the “future” package on PyPI.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire port to 2.7/3.3+ could have been done on master using futurize directly (without six or a long-lived porting branch).

—
Tim Jenness