[Scons-dev] Huge merges in Mercurial

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Dec 19 08:51:24 EST 2015

Russel,

On 19.12.2015 14:31, Russel Winder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried an experimental merge and much of the stuff looks like it will
> go straight through. However there is a lot of 3-way meld resolution to
> be done, hours of it, possibly days. Clearly there is no problem the
> human taking breaks as long as the computer doesn't. But what if…
>
> Has anyone any experience of checkpointing and restarting big Mercurial
> merge resolutions?

not with Mercurial so far, but here's what I tend to do at work (Clearcase) when things get complicated:

For every conflicting file I'll accept the "new" changes completely, overwriting old stuff. This is just to get the basic "merge"
operation through.
Afterwards, I look at the single "diffs" and do the actual merge work by trying to amend those places where some of the "old" stuff
is still needed.
Note how you can list the "to be resolved" files with

   hg resolve -la

Hope this helps you further, you may want to combine the "amend" work with using the MQ extension...

Regards,