[Scons-dev] Problem using doc toolchain?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Aug 1 12:22:46 EDT 2015

Hey Bill,

On 31.07.2015 19:30, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Did a clean python, libxml2-2.9.2, libxslt-1.28 from source (ran into an issue with libpython.so from system python causing core
> dump with got me stuck for a while because the error you get until you dig into it just indicates that expat was not built with your
> python.. blog posting to follow on that fun).
>
> [...]
>
> I get only the following diffs:
> [...]
>
> Are these all valid?
> Is there an easy way to check them (aka a tool?)

I can only second what Gary said: these are all valid and expected changes. There used to be a special check script back in the old
days of the previous doc toolchain, when there were *.in files and *.xml files for the final (=processed) version. But we're now
directly working on the *.xml files, which is another advantage of the new setup in my opinion.
That's also where all the stuff in "bin/SConsDoc.py" comes from, trying to get equal (or, at least similar) output for libxml2 vs
lxml...in order to keep the diffs as small as possible.
I'll work on the "normalization issue" in the background, for now we should stick to "libxml2 only" for official releases.

Thanks for the great work on releasing 2.3.6, I'll latch on to directly create a branch for release 2.4 in the repo...and merge the
"slots" diff to it. Once the changes get accepted by the users after 2.4 is out, we can safely merge this back to the "default"
trunk. Does everybody agree?

Regards,