[Scons-dev] Batch build support in SCons

Constantine voidmb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 02:31:41 EDT 2015

Hello SCons developers,

I did another round of testing
<https://github.com/aqualid/aqualid/wiki/Benchmark-results> of the
latest versions of SCons, Waf and Aqualid
The main reason was a re-factoring of some core parts of Aqualid.

One interesting thing is batch build results.
I was surprised that batch builds are much faster (about 20%) and
consume less memory in all cases (in full and incremental builds).
It seems that batch build can help to reduce number of process spawns.

Aqualid intelligently supports batch builds, so only affected sources
will be rebuilt.

I remember that SCons had some support of batch builds for MSVC.
But it seems that support of this feature is still limited only to MSVC.
I found an email thread
<http://scons-users.scons.narkive.com/KPfC1Hvo/batch-building-includes-unchanged-targets>
about this feature in SCons.

I don't know any other build systems which support batch builds.

Best regards,
Constantine.