[Scons-dev] Packaging logic?

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Tue Apr 7 12:38:49 EDT 2015

pip install .

would install the current setup.py in the directory ( and I should add allow you to then do a “pip uninstall scons” to remove it. You can still do a “python setup.py install” as well you however would now have meta generated to remove it with a nice command.

>>Not ok. SCons is a build system, so it should build itself to experiment on a live code. If we can teach pip to invoke scons as a part of build step - that is ok. I'd say that there is a even a demand for a cross-platform build tool that can work with pip to build binary stuff like extensions.

Not sure what is not OK.

If you have

python setup.py install

Scons installs… but how do you remove it…  you don’t

Pip install SCons

Installs it like the above. But now I want to remove it:

Pip uninstall SCons.

That is nice… what is wrong with  that?

Jason