[Scons-dev] Packaging logic?

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Wed Apr 1 11:39:26 EDT 2015

What do you mean by “a runnable zip”

My main thought is that we move to using the wheel format. Given that my current tasks I have been learning much more detail on this. What I am still not sure about is if with wheel we can support more than one version of SCons installed at a time. This may not be an issue as this could be easily done with the standard virtual environment package in python. Given we have that we can still provide user with an msi/rpm/dep/zip/tar.gz package format.

As a FYI .. it seem we want to think of this in terms of setuputils and pip. Python at level 2.7.8-9 and above have an ensurepip package to make sure you can easily install pip and use it if it is not there. The wheel format seems to be the replacement for egg and has a standard PEP behind it.

Jason