[Scons-dev] Buildbot, Java and D...

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Sep 13 14:40:38 EDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-09-13 at 11:50 -0400, William Blevins wrote:
> I think the short answer is yes, we are trying to support 2.6 in the
> future.  I agree with this notion since I would like RHEL6 default python
> support, but wouldn't cry if I had to use a custom 2.7 install.  The real
> question here is why is there confusion about this, and why does SCons
> since 2.3.0 complain about pre-2.7 versus pre-2.6 if we are trying to
> support 2.6?  That is a question I cannot answer...  I think that we should
> either drop 2.6 support or fix the documentation and development
> expectations.  Maybe the confusion with 2.7 is related to python 3 support?
>  Once that branch roles out we probably cannot reasonably expect to support
> 2.6.

The problem here, as you hint at, is that a decision was made that 2.7
was the base version, but the documentation was inconsistent with the
decision and now people are trying to fix perfectly good 2.7 code to
work with 2.6. The confusion is caused by the confusion :-)

So we need an explicit move, either 2.7 is the base and the
documentation changes or the 2.7 decision is rescinded and a new one to
say 2.6 is the base is made.

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk