[Scons-dev] Buildbot, Java and D...

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Sep 13 12:28:00 EDT 2014

On 13.09.2014 17:44, William Blevins wrote:
> Dirke,

'tis a week t'early ferrr that. ;)

> The top two no_result calls need to work when we add the test for
> "real", so we might as well fix them.  I think you answered your own
> question, looks like the skip option needs to be enabled, so the test
> is skipped rather than fails; however, the real question here is, why
> are we running tests on a buildbot without Java installed?  Is
> ignoring a whole language toolchain reasonable?

I would say so, yes. The testsuite can be run by any user who wants to
check whether his patch introduces a regression. For this, he wants a
clean run of all tests (passed or skipped) before, and after applying
his changes. And we don't want to force him having to install Java,
SWIG, Qt, D,..., and whatnot.
The tests have to cope with uninstalled applications/tools, and this
gets tested as well...by not installing anything on every Buildbot. As
long as we have *some* machines with Java in the mix, we should be doing
fine.

Which leads to the more interesting question: How do we guarantee full
test coverage, i.e. ensure that each test is properly run at least once
on a Buildslave?