[Scons-dev] Re PR #171

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 07:03:56 EDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 6:35 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2to3 makes code incompatible with Python 2.
>>
>> With modernize it is possible to go one fixer at a time and bisect errors
>> later.
>
> I believe individual fixers were applied and python2 compatibility has been
> added back in a piece at a time.  It's not complete but a lot of tests pass
> both on python2 and python3.  You can try it.  Patches gratefully accepted!

Yesterday I wasted about 4 hours debugging issues with Python 3 listed as:
http://bugs.python.org/issue20731
http://bugs.python.org/issue20844
and one more issue about py.ini
and I am not sure that I want to continue dealing with this can of worms.

I only wish that all bad modifications can be back traced and reverted and for
that they need to come in small chunks in project history, and its good when
the branch point is based on single state during review, i.e. without merges.
--
anatoly t.