[Scons-dev] Re PR #171

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Mon Sep 8 05:56:58 EDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:16 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> The whole ASCII string / Unicode codepoint sequence thing brings the
> >> Python 2/Python 3 thing to a head. If we want a codebase that runs under
> >> both Python 2 and Python 3 then we almost certainly have to use six to
> >> provide the indirection layer for things like strings (unless we write
> >> our own). Alternatively the Python 3 codebase can be separate (which is
> >> what Anatoly was advocating if I remember correctly) and then do careful
> >> cherry picks from the Python 2 codebase.
> >
> > six.py is now included in the python3 branch.  At this point not
> everything
> > works (still a long way from it) but I see no showstopping issues that
> have
> > cropped up yet.  (By showstopping I mean something that would prevent
> > shipping a single codebase that works in 2.7 and 3.x.)
>
> With new workflow can you rebase Python 3 changes on top of current
> HEAD so that it becomes a single lineage of commits and make them
> drafts?

So far I have just merged the default branch into python3 periodically
rather
than rebasing it onto default, which would change the commit IDs.  This
seems OK so far.

> This way everybody can see what it takes to go Python 3 step by
> step. (Too bad there are no hostings that support Evolve extension yet).
>
> Have also tried https://github.com/python-modernize/python-modernize ?

The python3 branch already has had 2to3 run on it, as the very first step I
believe.
What does python-modernize add?  It says it's a very thin shim around 2to3.