[Scons-dev] Windows Path

alexandre.feblot at gmail.com alexandre.feblot at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 09:45:29 EDT 2014

Le 7 sept. 2014 à 14:53, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> a écrit :

> On Sat, 2014-09-06 at 20:31 +0200, alexandre.feblot at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Creation of a temporary dir containing symlinks to tools which have been found, and adding this dir in the SCons PATH?
>> On windows, this can be achieved with junction points (this is pretty much what we do to force using the 64 bit linker during a 32 bit compilation due to the size of our libs/executables in debug mode).
>
> Indeed this works in principle for all platforms not just Windows, OSX
> without MacPorts or HomeBrew for example.
>
> Doesn't windows now have proper symbolic links?
>
> Of course we have to deal with windows back beyond XP?
>
> --
> Russel.

Symlinks would work on unix platforms, but regarding Windows... Forget my suggestion, sorry:

In fact, symbolic or hard links required administrator rights, so that was a no-go.
Junction points didn't, but they only link directories, not files, so what I suggested before couldn't  be done and we in fact did something like env['LiNK'] = '<tmpdir>/<JunctionPoint_to_64bit_tools_dir>/link' (which is exactly what you want to avoid :-)

And we did that in the first place because simply doing env['LINK'] = 'C:\Program Files\....\link' failed due to spaces in the path. But this is another story. Now that I think about this again, I don't even know if we tried just using quotes or env.File() !

Alexandre