[Scons-dev] Windows Path

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Sep 7 08:51:48 EDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-09-06 at 13:54 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
[…]
> It is the case.  I think it's not right.  If a tool is installed in its
> preferred location, SCons should find it, on whatever OS.  (This is part of
> what Anatoly was mentioning before, but solving this wouldn't solve all of
> that problem.)

As with Python being in c:\Python34, D goes into c:\D.

Of course in a proper system with packaging everything goes in the same
place. Hence the ease of handling this on Linux, OSX, etc. Though I
guess for OSX this only works for MacPorts and HomeBrew. Without them it
is back to the Windows-like chaos.

> It is tricky though, because SCons tools shouldn't muck with
> env['ENV']['PATH'] too much; otherwise adding a tool may change the result
> of a build.  Some tools just put the whole path to the tool executable in
> as the value of, say, $CC.  But that of course makes the generated compile
> lines look ugly.

Definitely, tehre is no easy solution to this. Hence why I felt the
where_is default was in conflict with the rest of SCons.

> For MinGW in particular it might be dangerous to add its bin dir to
> env['ENV']['PATH'] because I think MinGW puts all kinds of Unixy tools in
> that bin dir, which (as William points out) would make builds less
> reproducible.

So Microsoft compilers are the only ones found?

41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk