[Scons-dev] This morning's WTF moment

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sat Sep 6 06:10:36 EDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 5:42 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> OK so I am abandoning all my scruples and trying to get SCons running on
> my wife's Windows 7 machine so as to run some tests on Linux, OSX *and*
> Windows.
>
> I have now discovered that on a 64-bit laptop running Windows 7:
>
>         Environment()['PLATFORM']
>
> return win32. One assumes there is some existentialist humour present in
> this result?

It's the Windows Way -- sys.platform() also returns win32 on 64-bit
machines; system files are in /Windows/System32, and so on and so on.

> Also at every turn I am told:
>
> scons: warning: No version of Visual Studio compiler found – C/C++
> compilers most likely not set correctly
> File … engine\SCons\Script\Main.py", line 602, in
> _scons_internal_warning

Yes, known problem.  The right solution is the toolchain revamp.  A less
invasive solution is surprisingly hard to find, though Anatoly has a
possible idea.
If you initialize your Environment with only the tools of interest, you
won't see that warning.