[Scons-dev] Quick Sanity Check

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Mon Sep 1 16:06:34 EDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-08-31 at 18:03 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
> > That branch is the one.  If you check the commits on that branch you'll
> see
> > who's been committing to it.  I just yesterday got a python3 installed,
> so
> > I haven't touched it under python3, though I have kept pushing it back
> into
> > functioning on python2 (but not all the way there yet either).  So yeah,
> > there is plenty of juicy low-hanging fruit. :-)
>
> So we still need to answer to question: does the python3 branch need to
> run with Python 2. If no fine, I can really cope with that. If yes then
> which version of Python 2.7, there are so many, and the larger the z in
> 2.7.z the more Python 3 features are available.
>
> Yes, we want python2.7 and 3.  2.7 is the stated floor.  If we can keep
"most" things working in 2.6 that is a plus (i.e. we should try not to make
it fail immediately on startup with 2.6; many people just do simple things
with SCons.)

If there are particular features in the 2.7.x stream we should, or need to,
care about, lay them out here and let's discuss.

I think we've said that "3.x" means 3.3 or later but I could be wrong about
that detail.