[Scons-dev] modernize 0.4 is released for Python 3 porting experiments

getspammed iwanttogetspammed at gmx.net
Tue Oct 28 11:19:49 EDT 2014

Am 27.10.2014 um 18:23 schrieb Russel Winder:
> On Mon, 2014-10-27 at 16:41 +0100, getspammed wrote:
> […]
>> I am currently working on a project, where Python is used for several things and the team decided to go for Python 3.3. So in order to need just a single Python installation for being able to contribute to this project, i took the branch https://bitbucket.org/userzimmermann/scons, built a scons-local package from that and integrated that into our repository. That works quite well with PYthon 3.3, although we sometime experience problem when doing parallel builds (e.g -j4) - Scons is trying to access a build target while a custom builder still has a handle open for that file. But since we are using a 'hacked' version of Scons, i will surely not complain.
>>
>> So i guess from my situation you can see, that it would be much to my regret if support for Python 3 in Scons would be considered subordinate. On the contrary: I find Python 2 old-fashioned and i am waiting for Scons' Python 3 support wishfully.
>
> Is there any way we can integrate your work into the SCons repository so
> that current default/tip can be merged into the python3 branch with your
> work so we have an official releasable version of SCons for Python 3
> that is harmonious with the current SCons release?

The branch that we are using is not my work - i only contributed a tiny commit.
It is maintained by Stefan Zimmermann (https://bitbucket.org/userzimmermann/scons).
I just grabbed the state of that branch in March of this year. I think it has already
been integrated into python3-port by Gary:
https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/pull-request/125/even-more-python3-porting-python-27/diff

@Russel: Sorry that initially i sent this answer directly to you.

Regards,
Rocco